Become A Yoga Teacher Starting At Only $2295.
4 Part Breath: Step By Step
- To begin, gently place your hands on your stomach and lungs
- Fill up lung
- Then the belly
- Hold it and slowly release the belly breathe, then the lung breathe and finally, exhale all the air out
- Repeat this exercise for 5-10 rounds of deep breaths.
Purpose 4 Part Breath
- Practicing it teaches you to breathe fully and completely. Ineffective breathing is a common problem in today’s modern world, compounded by poor posture and long periods of sitting or driving. When you breathe shallowly (called “chest breathing”), the air only enters your upper chest and very little enters your lower chest. This causes a lack of oxygen to your blood vessels, which can create strain on your heart and lungs.
- Learning to breathe deeply will increase your oxygen supply, which, in turn, will help to decrease stress and anxiety levels. Additionally, focusing on your body during 4-Part Breath brings awareness to the present moment and calms your mind, initiates mindfulness
- 4 Part Breath is often used at the very beginning of a yoga practice to settle in and prepare oneself for practice and meditation. This technique is particularly beneficial in everyday life because it requires no special sound or position to achieve a grounded and relaxed state of awareness.